NFL star Terrell Owens...911 call for Possible Pill Overdose

Emergency officials were responding to a call about a possible prescription pill overdose when they were dispatched to the L.A. apartment where Terrell Owens was staying last week ... law enforcement sources tell TMZ.

As we first reported, Owens was transported by ambulance to an L.A. hospital Thursday night. Cops were also dispatched to investigate -- and spoke with T.O. at the hospital.

Owens has since been released.

A rep for Owens had no comment on the matter.

T.O. was famously hospitalized back in 2006 -- when he insisted he had a bad reaction to painkillers ... despite reports that he tried to commit suicide by inhaling 35 Vicodin pills.

T.O. later held a news conference on the matter and stated, "The rumor of me taking 35 pills, I think is absurd. I don't think I would be here if I had taken 35 pills."