Not even Dennis was surprised over Räikkönen's switch


Kimi Räikkönen's surprising debut in USA:s Nascar-serie took place the same weekend as Spain GP. In spite of that the matter was on the wall even on the F1-paddock.

Ron Dennis is the man who came up with the nickname ’’Iceman’’ for Räikkönen.

How did the former team manager feel about Räikkönen's Nascar-switch?

– Kimi has always liked to do different things and what he himself wants. That's why I'm not at all surprised over what he is doing. He drove quite well rally too. I don't know more about the Nascar-thing except that he went there, Dennis replied.

Räikkönen's physical trainer from Sauber, Josef Leberer, admits that Kimi driving in USA was a pleasant surprise.

– Kimi was a pale and thin guy when he started with us but while he was driving the bike I immediately noticed his body's coordination. At that point I knew that since he has a natural talent to drive fast, the coordination skill will help him no matter where he drives. I'm sure it helps him in Nascar too, Leberer said.

Sebastian Vettel said beforehand that Räikkönen has an exceptional freedom to do whatever he wants and take all the fun out of it.

– Of course I have been completely concentrated on my own weekend but I did look at the results from Charlotte and I was surprised over how well Kimi did. I haven't had time to look into the details. Kimi really is a man who is a maker: no matter what he races with he always makes a *** No swearing *** good job, Vettel praised.

David Coulthard drove with Räikkönen for three years at McLaren.

– I am happy that Kimi has once again found something new. It's good for the F1-sport when a top driver like Kimi can go to rally or USA's ovals and make a good work there too.

– Kimi has shown that whatever he does, he has always made good choices.

Stefano Domenicali doesn't doubt that Räikkönen might become competitive also in USA.

– Maybe it will happen if Kimi feels that it's fun enough. I have to call him and ask how he is doing, Domenicali said.

Turun Sanomat, Barcelona

HEIKKI KULTA


Courtesy: Nicole